Mario Montessori said: “…the prepared environment should…reflect that amount of organization and order necessary for community to function properly”.
There are similarities betwenn the Primary/Children’s House and the Elementary/Primary environments:
- clearly defined workspace
- inclusion of plants and animals
Both environments serve the needs of each child and provides for the manifestation of the tendencies for each plane.
3 to 6
- Contains anything needed for the development within a safe and protected environment.
- The adult/teacher sets the ground rules for maintenance and preservation of the environment.
- The adult needs to gradually show and make them understand the the rules so they can implement them themselves.
6 to 12
- The childrenneed both, classroom and the outside world to fullfill their needs.
- The adult/teacher together with the children form and build the rules for the maintenance and preservation of the environment.
- The children practice and gradually take more and more responsibility.